We are an independent bookstore in the centre of the beautiful, historic town of Totnes.
Opening Hours: Mondays to Saturdays – 9.30am-5.30pm, Sundays & Bank Holidays – 10am-4pm
Our books can also be found in Stationery & Gifts and The Kitchen Shop at The Shops at Dartington
Virago Modern Classics at 40!
To celebrate the fortieth anniversary of Virago Modern Classics, this May Virago Press are publishing a baker’s dozen of stunning, deluxe paperbacks, designed by Hannah Wood and featuring artwork by the incredible illustrator, Yehrin Tong.
The books in this series are by some of our most-loved writers: Antonia White, Elizabeth Taylor, Zora Neale Hurston, Angela Carter, Patricia Highsmith, Nora Ephron, Grace Paley, Janet Frame, Rosamond Lehmann, Mary Renault, Rebecca West, Muriel Spark and Elaine Dundy.
There is something for everyone in this collection: New York short stories, Parisian high jinks, novels of magic, menace, humour, love and belonging. And they are introduced by some of the very best contemporary writers, including Sarah Waters, Hilary Mantel, George Saunders, Tessa Hadley, Zadie Smith, Gillian Flynn, Tom Holland, A. L. Kennedy, Elizabeth Day and Rachel Cooke.
All these beautiful books are part of our 3 for 2 paperback promotion.
3 for 2 on selected Julia Donaldson & Axel Scheffler books
3 for 2 on selected Walker picture books
3 for 2 Mix ‘n’ Match on all Asterix and TinTin Graphic Albums
2 for £10 on selected paperback fiction
50% off selected books
Great deals on Food & Cookery Hardbacks
We stock an extensive range of books for both adults and children and you will find books suitable for everyone. Our friendly and knowledgeable staff can help you with all your enquiries. Please call into the shop, or ring us on (01803) 863273 for any further information.
If you really must use the dangerous internet to buy your books, instead of using the usual disreputable sources, we invite you to use our Hive-affiliated online bookshop.
You can browse and buy books, DVDs, music, stationery…even eBooks, and with free standard delivery get them straight to your door. Alternatively, you can have them sent to your favourite bookshop (us!) to be collected when you’re next in town.
Happy surfing and shopping!
The Gift of Reading
A book a month for a whole year selected by our team to match the taste of the recipient.
Here’s how it works – You have three options to choose from:
1. Treat yourself – Receive a book selected for your own pleasure, every month for a year.
2. Treat someone else – Your friend, family member or partner will receive a carefully chosen book once a month. There will also be an initial welcoming letter explaining their gift and letting them know they have a year of books to look forward to.
3. Family and friends – Their presents sorted for a whole year! Consult with our book specialist and then relax. Never miss a birthday or anniversary again! This package doesn’t involve a welcome letter as it is not applicable, but it will contain a hand written note from the chosen book specialist.
Each book will arrive gift-wrapped with a hand written note from your chosen book specialist explaining what makes this book so special.
You can choose the paperback selection for £135 or the hardback selection for £220*. This cost includes all UK postage, but we can post worldwide. Overseas costs will vary. If you would like us to provide a quote we would be happy to oblige.
One little chat – join us for a coffee. Please ask our staff to arrange a consultation over a coffee at the Tangerine Tree Café Totnes (we pay). We have knowledgeable and experienced staff that can recommend books to suit everyone’s tastes.
• Sarah Thomson – Fiction and Crime Fiction
• Cliff Shephard – Non Fiction and Children’s Books
• Martin Woollacott – Fantasy Science Fiction and Graphic Novels
• Ewa Maniewska – Something Different
We look forward very much to talking with you.
*Payment must be met in full before we can send out the first book. If for any reason the recipient is not satisfied with their book, an exchange to the book’s value is offered. No cash refunds can be given.