The Old Postern was originally built in the 15th century as a parsonage, the building has been remodelled on a number of occasions, including in the 16th century, 17th century and again in 1860.
It had major restoration works in 1928 and 1929 by Rex Gardner, and was used as a temporary home by the Elmhirsts whilst the restoration works to the Hall were undertaken.
British writer J A Froude was apparently born here, as it was his father’s rectory. Later, the building housed the nursery section of Dartington Hall School, was the home of the joint Heads, Hu and Lois Child, and in the 1970s it formed part of the sixth form department of the school.
The Old Postern is currently occupied by Schumacher College, a department of The Dartington Hall Trust. The Coach Houses were originally a barn, built in the 17th century, and converted and extended to provide accommodation in the 20th century.
The Coach Houses and Old Postern both have Grade II listing (click here to find out more about what listing means).
There is public access to the Old Postern, but not to the Coach Houses. Access is available to the Old Postern for those participating in a course or attending open evenings at Schumacher College. For more information see their website.
From the A384, turn onto the Dartington Hall estate at Dartington Church. The Old Postern and Coach Houses are situated on the left hand side, set back from the road a hundred metres.
Click here for a map.